A little about me

I am here to bring you into my adventures in craftsmanship and widgetry. I enjoy bringing things into the world that display the many skills I have. I have been crafting most of my life and the little things i did when I was young that I thought were all inconsequential, are all melding into a wonderful blend of talent. I hope you enjoy the things I am sharing with you and look forward to posting as much as possible.

Followers

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Adventures in Widgetry! Grandpa's Shadow Boxed Set

Welcome back to my adventures in Widgetry! I have this very special project to share with you today.
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow Knows!"
I made this Shadow Boxed set for my Grandpa for this past Christmas. He adores the old scary movies so I figured What better than a custom made "The Shadow" Complete Series Box Set.
I got together all the cd's of the series I needed and put them into jewel cases. I also purchased a copy of the dvd for the set as well.
I went to my local craft store and bought an 8" X 6" X 2.5" Snap closed paper mache box. I started by painting it with several coats of black acrylic paint to give it a really deep rich color.
-On a side note if you are going to attempt a project in painting one of these boxes make
sure you paint any folding seams both open and closed as this will cover if
the hinge paint cracks.
Back to the box...I went online and looked up several pictures of memorabilia of "The Shadow"and decided on a shot of bust of "The Shadow". I chose it for its clear representation as well as the fact that you could see his ruby ring. I did a rough sketch of the bust on the cover of the box and the did the outline for the writing on the binging edge. I then commenced with the painting in shades of gray, black, white and red.
And this is the stage that it was photographed in. I did add a coat of acrylic satin varnish finish to seal it from any damage. Those shot however came out like crud so I chose not to include them. It was a total of five jewel cases. It came together perfectly and it was for a really special guy. Love you, Grandpa.
-WarmShade




No comments:

Post a Comment